Wednesday, 24 June 2015

Remember the retro blanket...?



Well, it was finished some time ago. That Attic 24 inspired, Stylecraft Special DK stripey monstrosity. It now takes pride of place on our bed and is patiently waiting for us to re-wallpaper the wall behind to match. We did buy new blinds for the window in a lovely shade of green - but then ran out of steam. The wardrobe doors are also in a state of distress owing to the fact they were stripped but never painted... that's not good "shabby chic distressed" either. Its the bad kind.


This was the first time I had tried a ripple and I am really pleased. We decided that it didn't need a border and I was too excited to put it on the bed in any case. That might be a project for another day. But actually, I like the ripply edge.

Yes, you have noticed correctly. It doesn't quite fit our double bed and is really only for a single bed. I blame my lack of skills in the measuring department. 



The next blanket I tackled was for our teenage son and as you can see, it has been a big hit. All those tiny circles and squares were inexpertly stitched together over two weeks. It felt as though making all the squares was quicker! Once again, the trusty Stylecraft Special DK was used - making this a very inexpensive cover for his bed.

I undertook this task in my usual organised way and the process was so exciting. I made around 150 tiny circles, and built them up one by one with layers of colour. Then made each of those large and small circles into squares. It was fun to watch each pile getting increasingly larger in height and in diameter! I counted and recounted many times and laid it out on the floor dozens of times. The arrangement was the most exciting part.

Needless to say, teenage son was not bothered with whether one large circle was perfectly placed or not. But at least his bedroom is looking much cooler!


The next blanket project is a baby blanket for my friends new grandson to be. Ideas gratefully received.



No comments:

Post a Comment